Bold Predictions for the Miami Dolphins 2018 Season
It’s just about time for the 2018 season to kickoff for the Dolphins and the rest of the NFL…. and it can’t get here soon enough! So this being ‘prediction week’ and all, we thought we would share a few bold predictions with you. These are bold predictions so they are supposed to sound a little crazy…otherwise they wouldn’t be bold!
Before we get to our bold predictions for the Dolphins 2018 season, we wanted to share some of the crowd-sourced bold predictions we received on Twitter from our PhinNation followers:
- Reshad Jones leads the league in Interceptions – @ToddMcCleary
- 3-13 – @BlackSunday1971
- They will go 12-4 and Minka will be Defensive Rookie of the Year – @Brians_1988
- Ryan Tannehill Pro Bowl player & Come Back Player of the Year – @djkb23
- Dolphins sweep Patriots! Sweep Jets! Sweep Bills! More suprinsingly, leave ESPN ANALYTS SPEECHLESS – @KimpleScott
- Danny Amendola leads league in receiving touchdowns – @rennels_kevin
- Ballage ends up in a 50/50 split with Drake, rushes for 900 yards – @MPLefebvre
- They will win 7 games – signed lifelong Phins fan with a broken heart – @megustanadar
- Dolphins will draft between 24th & 32nd (playoffs!) – @UKFins
- 0-16 – @drew_ristaino
- Dolphins finish in top 5 for least penalized teams in 2018 – @Drewseph0127
- Dolphins will go 12-4, Dolphins win the AFC East, Gase wins Coach of Year, and Tannehill or Drake finish as a finalist for MVP – @kdevilphin84
- 19-0, that’s it! – @PositivePhinFan
- Quinn & Wake each get 15+ sacks, Gesicki catches 12-15 TDs, Stills, Wilson, Grant, and Amendola each have 30+ receptions& 500+ yards, Fitzpatrick wins Defensive Rookie of the Year, Dolphins finish with 13-6 record, losing in the AFC Championship game to the Chiefs 28-24 – @JamesBurnett11
- Miami will sweep the Patriots this year with big games from Drake and the defense – @bcoburn83
So there you have it, our crowd-sourced bold predictions from PhinNation followers on Twitter. As you can see, we received the expected mix of pessimistic and optimistic bold predictions. However, it seems like there were a few more optimistic fans (we tend to be more optimistic before the season starts!)
So what about us? Here are our bold predictions for the 2018 Dolphins season:
- Ryan Tannehill will earn a trip to the Pro Bowl* – Yes, that’s an asterisk. I am a believer that Ryan Tannehill will have a very good season returning from his knee injury. He was on his way to a very good season in his 1st year with Adam Gase and now he’s had another year and half to fully grasp this offense. Do I think he’s one of the top 3 QBs in the AFC? No. Could he? Yes he could. Do I think he has a chance to be Top 5 in the AFC, yes. That may be crazy, but that’s why these are bold predictions. So how will he make the Pro Bowl? One of the top QB’s will probably have to forgo the Pro Bowl because it’s the week before the Super Bowl. And there’s a good chance another QB or 2 will simply decline the invitation. So I think one way or another, Ryan Tannehill earns a trip to the Pro Bowl this year.
- Kenyan Drake will have over 1,600 total yards and 10+ TDs in 2018 – This probably isn’t too big of a stretch. However, the thought is that Drake will see his carries/catches limited by a talented running back corps. I still think he’ll get a majority of the touches and will put up some big numbers in 2018.
- The Dolphins will make the playoffs in 2018 – If you’ve read any of the power rankings or predictions by the national media this summer, you know why this is a bold prediction. Bleacher Reports latest Power Rankings showed the Dolphins at #32. Spoiler alert 1.0: there are only 32 teams in the NFL. Spoiler alert 2.0: The Bills are starting something called a Nate Peterman at QB to start the season. The Dolphins are not the worst team in the NFL. Look, I realize the Dolphins lost a lot of talent (Landry, Suh, Ajayi), but in Gase’s first season, he led the Dolphins to the playoffs. I think we see more of the 2016 Dolphins this season and they someone find a way into the postseason (more on that to come later this week)
It’s game week, don’t forget to follow us on Twitter @PhinNation for everything you need leading up to Sunday’s game against the Titans.