After 2 days off, the Miami Dolphins returned to the practice field on Tuesday, preparing for their 4th preseason game on Saturday. The Dolphins welcomed back John Jerry and Randy Starks, who have both been out for weeks due to injury. Jerry rejoined the starting offensive line at right guard. Starks was back, working in the defensive line rotation.
According to Armando, Starks looked good in his return and is said to feel “great”. Starks is expected to play this weekend. Jerry on the other hand, was a bit rusty in his return. He split first team RG snaps with Lance Louis. Jerry took a tumble on his first snap of team drills and observers say his knee still doesn’t look 100%.
Onto the field
– The Dolphins offense wasn’t great on Tuesday, fumbling 5 times and throwing 6 interceptions. That, is not good. The Dolphins defense looks ready for the regular season, but the offense clearly ha some work to do.
– Ryan Tannehill did connect with Mike Wallace for a 75 yard TD bomb, so the two seem to be building some chemistry.
– Charles Clay was the team’s starting tight end, replacing the recently injured Dustin Keller. Mike Sherman said that Clay has the potential to be a starting tight end and is the front runner for the job.
– Interestingly, Evan Rodriguez took snaps from the tight end position. Maybe the Dolphins are considering keeping Clay, Dion Sims, Michael Egnew, and Evan Rodriguez?
– Cameron Wake was his usual disruptive self. He wreaked havoc on the offensive line all day.
– Brent Grimes picked off Ryan Tannehill early in team drills. Good and bad news there, but hey, that’s training camp.
– Caleb Sturgis, connected on all three of his kicks, the longest from 49 yards.
– Antoine Smith of the Texans was suspended for opening weekend because he swung his helmet at Richie Incognito during Saturday’s game. To his credit, Incognito did not retaliate. Maybe Richie is maturing….well, at least on the football field!
– Reshad Jones had 2 interceptions during practice, hopefully it carries over into games.
– Dion Jordan did no practice with the team, but did shoulder rehab on the side. I doubt he’ll play this weekend, but it appears like he’s getting closer to returning to practice.
For the latest Dolphins news from PhinNation, you can follow us on Twitter @PhinNation