The Miami Dolphins season ended a week ago, but with the spotlight of the National Championship game coming to South Florida tonight, the Dolphins owner couldn’t help himself. Stephen Ross spoke with Dolphins media representatives this afternoon for about 22-23 minutes. Mr. Ross is a very accomplished businessman and is obviously very smart. That’s why, when he makes statements like he did today, we can’t help but scratch our heads.
The Dolphins are heading into a very important offseason in a few weeks. The Dolphins, by most estimations, will have about $46 mil in cap room to accompany their 5 high draft picks in the first 3 rounds of the draft. This is a franchise defining offseason for a Dolphins franchise that has not won a playoff game since Bill Clinton was in the White House.
Mr. Ross, for all he’s done in the business world, might need to have some of his right hand men, start writing his talking points, like a politician. Below are some of the quotes from Mr. Ross, courtesy of the Sun Sentinel:
– Steve Ross said “when I bought the team I told everyone with whatever resources I have I want to build a winning team.”
– “I’m willing to spend whatever it takes to build it. Sometimes people look at spending as a way of winning,” Ross said.
– “It isn’t money that solves problems. It’s brains,” Steve Ross said.
PN thought: This is what I like to hear, an owner that is committed to winning by any means necessary. At this point, I’m starting to think that Mr. Ross gets it! He continued:
– “As the coaches state you want to build through the draft, but you want to look at free agency and find someone who fits in,” Ross.
– “Free agency certainly isn’t the answer. We’ve all seen that,” Ross said. “You know your players better than anyone else….
– “Often times there is a reason why a guy is out there,” Steve Ross said about the free agents.
(cont’d on page 2, click below)